Monday, June 1, 2015

Here vs. Home

For the last few weeks I have been obsessing about the end of the program.  One minute I am so happy that I will soon be seeing Atlanta friends and family, and the next I am fighting back tears because I will miss it here so so much.

Things I am going to miss:

*my students. Sometimes they drive me crazy but I might cry on the last day of school.
*My host family.  They have given me endless support and have really accepted me into their lives.
*Mis amigas, Katelyn, Kirsty, and Anna!  I will miss dancing with them to Uptown Funk, having travel buddies, getting into the most awkward situations, laughing until I cry, watching Barça matches, exploring Barcelona, discovering delicious restaurants, and being able to share this unique experience with them. Oh my madre mia, I am going to miss them
*being able to walk everywhere or take the train/bus/tram/metro.
*fresh bread every day. Fresh everything all the time. Sure they have a ton of food with preservatives here, but natural food is widely available and it isn´t outrageously expensive.
*hearing Spanish all the time. I want to say that I won´t get lazy when I go home, but being surrounded by the language makes it so much easier
*Tapas, sangria, spanish tortillas, paella, calçots with romanesco sauce, and pan con tomate
*The lifestyle.  Shops are closed on Sundays.  People actually spend a TON of time with their friends and family.  What a concept! ;)
*The super late sunset.  Barcelona is further north than Atlanta, so it doesn´t get dark until about 10:00 here.  Love it.
*So many beautiful beaches just a stone´s throw away.
*The architecture
*Watching futbol with people who actually care about futbol (okay well I have a few friends in the states who care, but I mean the whole city just goes CRAZY about it).
*Hilarious misunderstandings due to the language barrier.


Things I am looking forward to:
*seeing my loved ones back home.  I have MISSED them so much!
*Being healthy again (hopefully).  Currently I am suffering from yet another illness.  It won´t stop.
*Summer thunderstorms (weird I know but I kinda love Atlanta summer weather)
*Being back in my apartment with Zlati, and having a flexible schedule for my personal life.  I need to slow down for a bit after this.
*Familiarity: there´s no place like home, and the comfort you find there.
*Netflix
*No language barrier... Of course I love hearing Spanish all the time, but life is certainly easier when you can understand every word.
*Having weekends where I just chill or have people over.  Even though the lifestyle here is laid back, I haven´t been very relaxed because every day I try to do and see as much as humanly possible.
*The future.  No matter where I end up next year, I know that this experience has not only been a ton of fun, but it has opened a lot of doors for future jobs.  I am feeling a lot more confident about finding jobs in my field of interest now.  The future is bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment