Thursday, June 18, 2015

Cultural Differences

A few cultural differences, if you´re interested

The ones I like...

*People here don´t own guns. There are pretty major restrictions on owning a gun, so unless you are a policeperson or a hunter, it will be difficult to get your hands on one.  Not that people here even WANT them in their homes.  Love it.

*People have two last names.  I just think it is cool.  For example: Pablo Molinero Fernández. The first surname (Molinero) comes from the father´s side, and the second surname (Fernández) comes from the mother´s side.  When people get married, they typically don´t change their name.... but when they have a child, he or she acquires the first surname from the father and the mother (example:If José Lopez Garcia marries María Reyes Cruz, and they have a child called Tomás, his full name will be Tomás Lopez Reyes.)

*SO MUCH TIME WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS.  They really value this, and I think the work life balance here is more my style.  People are not nearly as stressed, and they get to hang out with loved ones nonstop.


*SIESTAS all the time

*Futbol is REALLY important here.  I am still not really a sports person, but I do enjoy the energy that comes from these popular matches.

*The kids tend to be really active and in shape.  Yes, most of them have phones and ipads and other forms of technology, but they don´t always have to be using them.  At school, they play on the playground often for more than an hour.  After school, many children play outside for up to two hours every day after school.  I am talking nonstop running around and playing futbol.  

*Festivals, holidays, and celebrations such as Sant Jordi, Sant Joan, and Carnaval.

The ones I don´t like...

*They don´t care about germs.  To an extent, I respect this.  Less worrying means less stress means a longer life.  However people here are sick a LOT. Maybe I am biased because I work around children a lot.  It is just that some of the schools don´t even keep soap in the bathroom (Not mine, my school is ON TOP of things thank goodness.  Shout out to Teresa, the nun who keeps everything running smoothly at my school!).  But I have heard stories. 

*People here are extremely direct and honest.  There´s no beating around the bush.  They won´t consider it an insult, it´s just the way things are here.  I have to admit that this was one of the hardest things to get used to.  In my time here, I have received a lot of comments about my appearence and myself in general.  I have been asked if I was pregnant, told I have a belly, told that I am extremely white (don´t care about that one actually), etc.  However I have also been told that I am guapa and that I am an amazing artist.  I spoke to a woman who lives in my town about this, and she said that people are honest because if they don´t speak the truth, others will consider them to be fake.  I get that.  If I ask you directly if I look fat, I am not going to get mad at an (politely worded) honest answer.  The thing I don´t like is when people just feel the need to reveal their opinion without you even asking.  This is just my personal opinion that I am revealing without you even asking.  So I have learned to live with it, and when I DO receive a compliment, I really appreciate it because I know for sure that it is genuine. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment